Pav bhaji recipe is a delicious and easy to make the popular dish in which mixed vegetables are cooked with various spices to make spicy sabzi (bhaji) and served with soft pav baked in butter. Pav bhaji recipe is a delicious and easy to make the popular dish in which mixed vegetables are cooked with various spices to make spicy sabzi (bhaji) and served with soft pav baked in butter.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Servings: 3 people
- 3 big potatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup cauliflower floret
- 2-3 tsp Beetroot grated
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 medium capsicum finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala powder readymade
- salt to taste
- 8 loaf Buns (Pav) to serve
Read More1. Tandoori Panner Tikka Recipe
How to Make Pav Bhaji Masala
- I have taken potatoes in a cooker pot. I have cut them into halves as these were big. So that potato is evenly cooked.
- Take another cooker pot. Add 1/2 cup cauliflower florets. I have washed the florets really good. Add 1 finely chopped capsicum 1/2 cup green peas. Pav bhaji should get a nice color. For that, I am adding a 2-3 tsp grated beetroot.
- The beet gives nice color & pav bhaji becomes healthy too. The healthy factor is added to it. Add water in veggies.
- Add water in potatoes too. Add water at the base of the cooker & place dish. Transfer cooker pots into the cooker. Close the lid & cook on medium heat until 3 whistles. I have cooked until 3 whistles. Let’s check now. Veggies have been well cooked & so are potatoes. Mash cooked veggies well. It has got a nice color due to the beet. Mash the veggies really good.
- After mashing the veggies well keep them aside. Peel the cooked potatoes. After peeling the potatoes take the mashed veggies. You can mash potatoes in these veggies with a masher. But I grate these so that veggies get a nice consistency. But it is not compulsory to grate. You can mash.
- After grating potatoes well mix with cooked veggies. The base of the veggies is ready. For making bhaji
- I have heated up butter in a pan. Add finely chopped onion. We need a lot of onion for making masala. Base of pav bhaji is lot of onion. So that the masala gives a nice taste to the bhaji. So use a little more onion. I have used a finely chopped, little bigger than medium size onions. Fry onion until it gets a nice golden color. I have fried onion well for about 7-8 minutes. It has got a nice, even golden color. When you use broad pan then ingredient is evenly roasted or fried. Add finely chopped tomato. We need a little more tomato for pav bhaji.
- After tomato adds 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala, 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste & for good color, bedgi mirchi. Due to this bhaji doesn’t taste that hot & also it gets a nice color. You can use homemade or any other brand bedgi mirachi. You can use the spices or ingredients according to your convenience. Mix well cook until tomato cooks nice & soft for about 4-5 minutes. Masala has got fantastic color & it has begun to release oil. Though this is steel pan nothing is sticking to the base.
- Masala has become really good. Fry until masala release oil & tomato, the onion should mix well. Add cooked veggies in it. Add water to adjust the consistency. Pav bhaji is not that runny. So add water carefully. Add salt to taste & mix everything well together. It is already looking yummy. But of course for the masala to release their taste into bhaji, it is necessary we have to cook this for another 7-8 minutes. Try not to cover. Simmer uncovered really good.I have simmered this pav bhaji for about 10-12 minutes
- Add little more butter in it. Let’s keep the pan aside. Let’s roast the pav. Take ladi pav & open it at the center. You can do it with a knife too. While making in larger quantity, take 6-7 pav together & cut them across. Transfer them into pan. These can be quickly roasted. Add butter on the pan & roast the pav nicely.
- You can spread spices or a little bhaji on pav while roasting. Nice, soft & little crispy pav is ready. Bhaji is ready & so are pav. Let’s serve now.
- Add butter on the bhaji & nicely roasted pav. Wow. Do try pav bhaji. Do not forget to comment. Let’s meet again with such a nice recipe. Till then, keep smiling, be happy and keep on eating.