Dal Makhani It is a delicious and creamy lentil which is one of the main food of Punjabi food. To make it restaurant-like, the lentils and beans are first boiled in a pressure cooker until softened and then cooked with onion, tomato and spices, and fresh cream (cream) is poured over it. Made from calcium and protein-rich urad, chana dal, rajma, butter, fresh cream and spices, this dal is delicious and nutritious as well. So today we make makhani dal with the help of this recipe.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 52 mins
Course: Main Course
Servings: 4 people
- 1/2 cup urad soak in water for 6-8 hours
- 3 tbsp kidney beans soak in water for 6-8 hours
- 2 tbsp chana dal soak in water for 6-8 hours
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves grind them
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp cream fresh cream
- 2 tbsp coriander salt finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2+1 cup water
How to make Dal Makhani :
- Remove the excess water from the soaked urad, chana dal, and rajma. Put the urad, chana dal and Rajma in a 4-5 liter capacity aluminum or steel pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of water and salt to it and close the lid and let it cook on medium flame until it is 1-whistle and then reduce the flame to 4-5 whistles.
- Turn off the gas and let the pressure of the cooker dissipate, this will take about 6-8 minutes. Lentils and beans should be soft. Open the lid and mash them with a spoon. Do not mash them completely.step-3
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds and allow them to be of golden color. Then add chopped onion and fry it till it turns light pink in color. Grated ginger, powdered garlic, and chopped green chilies and fry till the garlic turns light brown in color, it will take about half a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and coriander powder and mix well.
- Mix chopped tomatoes and let them cook until they become soft, it will take about 2 minutes.
- Then add boiled lentils, salt (only if necessary because we had already added salt at the time of boiling the lentils) and 1 cup of water. Let it cook until thick (or thin or thick as per your liking) or on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add butter, mix the mixture well and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add fresh cream.
- Mix well and let it cook for a minute.
- Do not let the lentils cook for a long time after adding the cream, otherwise, the cream will break. Turn off the gas.
- Take out the lentils in a bowl and garnish with chopped coriander and cream and serve hot.
Suggestions and Variations:
If fresh cream is not available, add 3/4 cup full-fat milk and instead of 1 cup of water in step 6, add 1/4 cup of water. Butter and cream are used to taste good. If you are health conscious and want to make less calories then reduce the quantity, but the taste of lentils will change slightly. Serve the kids with protein-rich and nutritious Makhani Dal Paratha. If you are making this dal for children, do not add green chilies.
Taste: Lightly pungent and creamy
Serving Methods: Serve this Punjabi Dal Makhani with steamed rice or paratha for lunch as a nutritious meal.