Coconut Burfi Recipe: Among all the traditional Indian sweets, coconut barfi is an easy homemade dessert that you will often find on every occasion and festival in every province of India. It is popularly known as Thengai Barfi(Coconut Burfi) in South India, Copra Pak in Gujarat and Coconut Barfi Recipe in Northern India. You can make it at home with only three ingredients – fresh coconut, sugar and milk and you can also add cardamom, saffron or pineapple essence to your taste. To make it tastier you can use condensed milk or mawa (khoya) in it which also helps to bind the mixture. The step-by-step photo recipe of this coconut barfi has been made more delicious and soft by using condensed milk, cashew, and cardamom powder. Don’t forget to check out the tips and methods below to make it to your liking and to use another option of fresh coconut burfi.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Cuisine: All over World, Indian
Servings: 2 people
Coconut Burfi Ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut powdered freshly grated coconut without brown bark
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp cashew chopped
- 1/2 + 1/2 tbsp Ghee
More RecipEs:1. Besan Ladoo Recipes | How to make Besan Ladoo Step by Step at Home
2. Kaju Katli Recipe | How to make Kaju Katli | Kaju Barfi
How to make Coconut Burfi Recipe:
- Grease a plate or mold with 1/2 tablespoon of ghee and keep aside until required. This plate will be used to set when the mixture is formed in step-6. In a non-steak or thick bottom pan, add grated or powdered fresh coconut, 1/2 tablespoon ghee, and sugar and heat it on medium heat.
- Stir the mixture continuously with a spoon and cook it until it becomes light golden; It will take about 10 minutes.
- Add condensed milk and milk.
- Stir continuously with a spoon and cook until the mixture thickens (as shown in the photo); It will take about 4-5 minutes. Add cashew and cardamom powder to it.
- Mix well and seal the gas.
- Take out the cooked mixture in a smooth plate.
- Spread it evenly with a spoon and allow it to cool for 8-10 minutes at room temperature.
- Cut coconut burfi in a diamond shape or in square pieces with a knife or a flat spoon. When it cools down completely, take out the pieces from the plate and have fun.
Suggestions and Variations:
If fresh coconut is not available then you can use grated dry coconut powder instead. you can dry coconut powder, then add 3 tablespoons of water in step-1 to prevent sugar from browning. If you are making recipe for coconut burfi in the rainy season (when there is too much moisture in the air), make sure that the mixture should be well cooked otherwise it will not set and become sticky when cooled.
To make it as per your choice, add soaked saffron or pineapple essence or any other essence of your choice. Do not change the size of the sugar (you can add more sugar to it to make it sweeter but do not reduce its quantity) otherwise, the barfi will not set well and you will not be able to make square pieces out of it. You can fill it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge and use it within 1 week.
Taste: Sweet and soft with cardamom flavor
Ways to Serve: Serve Coconut Burfi Recipe after dinner in the evening like a dessert or enjoy it anytime like a dessert.